Alice George is a visual artist and poet living in Evanston, Illinois. Her poetry appears in eight anthologies and her book of poetry was published in 2008 (This Must Be The Place, Mayapple Press). Her work has been recognized by Illinois Arts Council grants and Ragdale Foundation residencies.
Alice began exploring text and image while pursuing her MFA in Writing from the School of The Art Institute of Chicago (2001), and her work has been exhibited in area venues, including a 3-woman show at the Evanston Art Center in fall of 2017, and the Evanston + Vicinity Biennial, fall 2018. Her work includes paintings, prints, artist books and animations.
As a teaching artist, Alice has translated her interests into work with Columbia College Chicago’s Project AIM, working in long-term text-image residencies in K-12 classrooms. She also teaches interdisciplinary workshops from her Evanston studio. Alice is also an active citizen and business owner; she and her husband Shawn Decker are co-founders of Sketchbook Brewing Company.
- Evanston & Vicinity, Evanston Art Center, fall 2018
- Art Center 3-woman show & video screening (fall 2017)
- Evanston Made (2016-2018)
- One State Together, Evanston (2015)
- Chicago Cultural Center- Artist Book – Chicago (2014)
- Noyes Cultural Center, Evanston (2011 – 2014)
- Trilogy Gallery, Three Oaks, Michigan (2012)
- Green Home Chicago (2012)
- Green Arts Evanston (2010 and 2011)
- Adler George Studio, Evanston (2014 – present)
- Pillars Social Café, Chicago (2012)
Powered by Squarespace